Sunday, July 25, 2010

look ma, no crutches

. . .but i'm still clearly hung-up on the basement. There's just something about the dramatic lighting and the depth, direction, texture and dimensionality that that light affords. It's that, I think, that keeps me going back there (with a camera, of course) again and again.

It had been some time since I ran color film through the Canon AE1 Program so after doing the b/w interior shots, I decided to run some color through. I'm absolutely loving the basement shot featured first here and entitled "blue litter box" but I'm less wild about the shot below, entitled "Blend." To be fair, I would have probably liked "Blend" a lot a few months ago, it's just that with me currently being about seeing all things with (or through) basement lighting, "Blend" strikes me as flat. Then again, to be fair, the purpose or objective behind my taking this image was to see what I could do by way of getting foreground, middle ground and background to blend.













On other fronts: Since I prefer, whenever possible, to develop two rolls of 35mm film at once, I decided to finish up the remaining shots on the roll of film inside the Nikon L35 AF my friend brought to me last month so that I could develop that roll at the same time I was doing the roll from the Canon. I'd read good things about the Nikon, but wasn't expecting anything much from this roll of film since I had no way of knowing if someone had, whether inadvertently or purposefully, exposed the film. This was one of several resale or thriftstore cameras my friend brought to me last month. And it was one of two or three that still had partially exposed film left inside. (As an aside: After insisting that the Nikon was not hers, that she'd not ever used it, but definitely bought it resale, I develop the film only to find that the camera was, in fact, hers. As soon as I pull the negatives out of the soup, I see my friend and other members of her family in the negative strip.)

The images below were taken with the Nikon L35 AF. Not bad, really, for throw-away, hurry-up-and-take-whatever-since-the-film-was-probably-already-exposed shots. The camera seems to respond really well to low-light conditions or poorly lit situations. Hmmm. I wonder how it might respond if I took it to a place I know of where the light is simply super-duper dramatically amazing. . .


No comments: